Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

The entertaining and sordid tale of a pseudo-recovering sex addict who purposely chokes in restaurants to give the person who saves him more meaning in their lives, as well as subsequent financial rewards to him because they care, to support his crazed mother in a nursing home. One of the main themes is that we are trying to escape our own lives, if only for a moment.
That brief summary sort of says it all. If you liked Fight Club, chances are you will like this. Grit, sex, absurdity, amusement (a couple laugh out louds) and moments of perspective.
An easy and enjoyable read.

A couple memorable lines:
"Sometimes I think I'm doing a bad impersonation of myself."
and another delightful reference to patting your head and rubbing your stomach.

1 Comments:

Anonymous MrPopularSentiment said...

I saw the movie. I had no idea it was made from a Palahniuk book... although I can see the resemblance to Fight Club, now that I think about it.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home