Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Night, egos and names

Last night I went to a park near the water. It was absolutely beautiful! It has been a long time since I have seen so many stars, what with the light pollution (or actual pollution) of cities nowadays. While enjoying the gentle sound of waves lapping and discussing the few constellations I know, I mentioned how I've loved seeing satellites in the past. Shortly thereafter, my good friend who accompanied me on this attempted excursion to nature, commented, "Look! There's a satellite!" Upon closer inspection, it was revealed to be a low-flying bird. Such is the nature that good friendship that we both had a great laugh.

This situation also brings to mind the idea of letting go of one's ego. All too often in this competitive world the notion of providing a "strong front" takes precendence over simply admitting a mistake and saying "I guess I just learned something." I think everyone appreciates humility, especailly when it is accurate. [Musing: I think if we all presented who we really were, the world would be an more truthful place. I haven't fully thought this out, so I'm not sure if it would be better. My current thougths are that we are probably happy some people fake it (plus there is a big difference between thinking something and acting it). As well, we respect certain traits like confidence in others, but what if the person is really anxious, but just seems confident? I'll get back to this another time.] Concisely, we all make mistakes and everyone has their "cognitively empty" moments. I prize the ability to laugh at oneself and think more people should do so. Just so you'll see that I am sincere I will give you a personal example:
Scene: Home Depot. I couldn't find what I was looking for at all, so I went up to a sales attendant and asked "Hey, where are all your papers and pens and stuff." To which he kindly replied, "There in the Business Depot, across the street." I said, "Thanks," and laughed the whole walk over. :)

Lastly, someone looked up the supposed meaning of my full name: Great Black Crooked Nose Son of a Dog
I took it in stride and now prefer to think of myself as a dark Great Dane that was in a fight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home