Sunday, August 31, 2008

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins

A delightful book: intelligent, amusing, quirky, mystical but scientific, wisely observational, historical, vaginal, zany, self-referential and relaxing. I agreed with many of the themes and perspectives presented, but others were too mystical and some arguments too specious. Additionally, some of the core messages contradict one another; Robbins does not appear have a problem with that, but I seem to). I was impressed by his knowledge of history, evolution and neuroscience, although I may disagree a little regarding the implications of the findings he states. A personal highlight was the wonderfully clever conversation/debate between the Brain and the Thumb.

The book shines in the later chapters, but as the whole work made me think and caused me to laugh out loud a couple times, I recommend it.

Some excerpts I liked:

Describing a small town in which the men knew “more about the carburetor than they knew about the clitoris.”

“They were discussing the international situation, which was desperate, as usual.”

“I set an example. That’s all anyone can do.”

“Authority is to be ridiculed, outwitted and avoided. And it’s fairly easy to do all three. If you believe in peace, act peacefully; if you believe in love, act lovingly…”

“I believe in everything; nothing is sacred. I believe in nothing; everything is sacred.”

1 Comments:

Blogger Aurora Brown said...

I discovered this book in my twenties. I'm now 62. Every time I reread it, I take a journey through my psyche. I rediscover lost aspects of myself and am often surprised by awareness of new or enhanced aspects of myself. I love the quirkiness, the side-trips (rectal temperature of a bumble bee is a good one), the philosophy, science and love in this book. I fondly recall the Chink dancing to the evening news, especially as dance is now integral to my life.

Thank you for writing about Even Cowgirls Get the Blues.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home