Wednesday, May 04, 2005

In the news...

I came across several news stories today which I thought were worth mentioning, either for their importance, absurdity or both.

The first is that the BBC reported that a CIA operative was instructed to "Capture Bin Laden, kill him and bring his head back in a box on dry ice." I couldn't help but think that perhaps what we see in the movies isn't that far off. It is not that such things wouldn't be expected in times of war, it is that the particular country in question seems morally indignant at such acts, yet continues to do them. The story also mentioned that it was desireable to have "...their heads up on pikes," referencing the terrorits. In what is one of the oddest things I'll read lately, the operative replied, "I can certainly make pikes out in the field but I don't know what I'll do about dry ice to bring the head back - but we'll manage something." Apparently, the practicalities of war cause shock laughted in me.

Another story had the headling "Cruise thanks scientology for IQ." Although the story is not that detailed, I believe what Cruise was trying to say was that his belief system allowed him to overcome some literacy issues. Alternativley, I thought a better introduction to the story would be: Tom Cruise, demonstrating his inability to understand not one, but two things, announced today...

Saturn has 12 new moons

Maybe that technique would make the new movie better for everyone?

Why must we compete for the 6th deadly sin?

Being young, having fun? Forget Pepsi, have sex. Better odds in the States?

Police catch a suspect in G-string. The bystanders comments are the highlight: "I saw his ass and it wasn't cute," said a woman named Vicki who did not want to give her last name. hahaha

This is saddening for anyone that cares about art.

This is from awhile ago, and is satirical, but is worth your read (mainly if you are in science) Fifth-Grade Science Paper Doesn't Stand Up To Peer Review.

What about you? Any interesting stories?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home